The Private Pilot Rating is the foundation of your future as a helicopter pilot. If the private pilot certificate is all you seek or if you intend to pursue a career as a professional helicopter pilot, this rating will be challenging and rewarding.
“Do the impossible because almost everyone has Told me my ideas are nearly fantasies.”
What You'll Learn
You will be introduced to the fundamentals of helicopter flying, emphasis will be placed on operating a helicopter safely enough to solo and pass the private pilot written exam and practical test.
Be 17 years of age
Be able to read, speak, write and understand the English language.
Must log *40 hours flight time that includes 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight (5 hrs if part 141) and the training must include at least:
3 hours of cross-country flight training in a helicopter.
3 hours of night flight training in a helicopter that includes:
- one cross country flight over 50nm
- 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern at an airport.
3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a helicopter in preparation for the practical test which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
10 hours (5 hours Part 141) Solo Flight in a helicopter consisting of at least:
- 3 hours cross country time
- one solo cross-country flight of at least 75 nm total distance with landings at a minimum of 3 points and one segment of the flight being a straight-line distance of at least 25nm between the takeoff and landing
- 3 takeoffs and 3 landings to a full stop with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern at an airport with an operating control tower.
FAA Written Exam
Books and supplies
*The 40 hour requirement is an FAA minimum, real world flight time is more in the neighborhood of 65-70 hours of flight time and around 40 hours of ground school to be proficient enough to pass the Private Pilot Check ride.
Rates for the R22 are $360/hr which includes fuel and instructor.
Rates for the R44 are $650/hr which includes fuel and instructor.
Ground Instruction is $50/hr
These rates are subject to change due to fuel and insurance costs.
Interested in our private pilot flight training? Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch.
"*" indicates required fields